Anthony has a wide knowledge of the law and is a skillful advocate with a strong court presence.
Anthony is qualified to accept instructions under the Bar Council Public Access Scheme.
1975 Grays Inn Call
- BA (Hons) Leeds University
- Chancery Bar Association
- Areas of Practice
- Property Law – sale of land; land registration including hearings before the Adjudicator; landlord & tenant (business & residential); boundary disputes; easements and rights; restrictive covenants; co-ownership of property; trusts of land; nuisance claims
- Probate and Inheritance– Inheritance Act claims; testamentary capacity; undue influence; construction of wills; executor issues
- Insolvency – Bankruptcy.
- Professional Negligence – claims against surveyors, solicitors, and clinical negligence
- Reported Cases
- Cerium Investments v. Evans  20 EG 18;  62 P&CR 203 (CA) – Landlord & tenant; nature and extent of responsibility of guarantors of commercial leases.
- Clark v. Chief Land Registrar  2 WLR 141 - Land registration; effect of cautions against dealings under LRA 1925; rectification of the register; effect of charging orders
- Perry v. Butlins Holiday World  EGCS 171 (CA) – Occupiers liability; use of dangerous building materials in areas frequented by children
- Bhogal v. Cheema  29 EG 117 (Ch. Div) Landlord & tenant; principles of surrender of leases by operation of law; also whether duty on landlord to mitigate by re-letting after disclaimer on insolvency.
- Re. Segbedzi, Segbedzi v. Segbedzi (1999) (CA) – Administration of estates; relief to trustees under s.61 Trustee Act 1925; nature of liability of trustees to indemnify a co-trustee.
- Yaxley v. Gotts  Ch. 162;  3 WLR 1217 (CA) – Proprietary estoppel; operation of the doctrine in the light of section 2 of the Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989; relationship with contract and constructive trusts
- Manning v. Hope The Times 18 February 2000 (CA) – Correct test relating to the common duty of care owed by an occupier under the Occupiers Liability Act 1957.
- Ashe v. Mumford  33 HLR 756; The Times 15 November 2000 (CA) – Trusts; whether the discount under the “right to buy” provisions can create a beneficial interest, in circumstances where a resulting trust can be rebutted
- Terry v. HM Coroner for East Sussex  3 WLR 605;  2 All ER 141 (CA) – Administrative law; - where there is fresh evidence, whether a Coroner is then obliged to hold an inquest having initially certified that an inquest was unnecessary under s. 19 Coroners Act 1988.
- Hansen v. Barker-Benfield  WTLR 1141 (Ch. Div) – Undue influence in relation to lifetime gifts; undue influence (coercion) in relation to wills; testamentary capacity.
- Baker v. Baker  FLR (Ch. Div) – Principles applicable to surviving spouse’s claim under Inheritance Act, relevance of comparison with provision on divorce.
- Angus v. Emmott 1 WTLR 531 (Ch. Div)
Removal/Substitution of executors; applicable principles under s.50 Administration of Justice Act 1985
- Higginson Securities (Developments) Ltd. v. Hodson  EWHC 1052 (TCC);  CILL 3177
- Guidance on application of Pre-Action Protocol for Construction and Engineering Disputes. Meeting between parties not always necessary before proceedings; a pragmatic and proportionate approach preferable to slavish adherence to letter of protocol, having regard to overriding objective and costs
- Levy (Trustee in Bankruptcy) v. Ellis-Carr  EWHC 63 (Ch);  BPIR 347
- Insolvency appeal. Guidance on medical evidence required by court for adjournments; also relationship between CPR and Insolvency Rules in proceedings where a party lacks capacity
- Bi-lingual in French; some German
- Outside Interests
- Mobile : 07879996105